Monday, January 19, 2015

Eggplant Parmesan

One of the best parts about participating in Bountiful Baskets is getting to try new fruits and vegetables that I wouldn't have otherwise. I have discovered that I really like Eggplant Parmesan, or at least this recipe for it. I prefer my homemade sauce, but my kids find it a little spicy, so I also used some store bought sauce.  I adapted this recipe from one from The 17 Day Diet.


Ingredients:
2 eggplant
3 whole eggs
4 Tbsp water
Parmesan cheese (I used some powdery stuff and some grated stuff)
garlic powder- to taste
2 cups of marinara sauce

Directions:
Peel the eggplant and then cut into 1/4 in slices. Crack the eggs and whip them with the water until frothy. In a shallow dish, dip the eggplant slices in the egg, then into the Parmesan cheese, pressing cheese into the eggplant. Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and place eggplant in a single layer on the pan. Sprinkle with garlic powder if you so desire. Place pan in an oven that has been preheated to 400 degrees and bake for 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes.  Eggplant should be golden brown and cooked through. Next, cover with the marinara sauce and cook for another 20 minutes until eggplant is hot and sauce is bubbly.

Verdict:

Yum! All of the kids ate it.  My 2yo liked it the best. I served this with some green beans that I sauteed with hazelnuts and butter.  My 9 yo preferred the green beans to the eggplant, the rest of the family liked the eggplant better than the green beans. I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day.

No comments: