Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stuffed Bell Peppers

 Okay, so I've never made stuffed peppers before, but my husband likes them and I thought I'd give them a try.  I started out with this recipe, but then I tweaked it a little.  I didn't have the black beans, I thought I did, until I looked in the freezer and remembered I'd used them for chili last week.  I did have some refried beans left over that I used instead, though.  I also added some hamburger since my husband requested it.


 Stuffed Bell Peppers

1 C uncooked rice (can use any kind of rice)
2 C water
Green Bell peppers
2/3 cup refried beans ( I forgot these in the picture)
1/2 lb. Ground beef, cooked
1 1/2 t cumin
3/4 C Plain yogurt
3/4 C mexican blend cheese
1/2 C chopped cilantro
1 C chopped tomatoes
1/2 C chopped green onions
1/2 black pepper
salt to taste

1.  Combine rice and water. Cook rice 5-10 minutes shy of the directions.  Set aside and let cool.

2.  Wash peppers and prepare them for stuffing.  Cut the stem off and clean out the membranes and any seeds. 

3.  Place beans in a large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients, including the rice.  Mix well.  Taste the mixture and add salt and other seasonings as needed.

4.  Carefully spoon the mixture into your peppers filling them quite full.  Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Check pepper with fork to make certain it's soft.  

 The Verdict:  These were pretty good.  I'm the only one who ate all of my pepper.  The kids ate the filling.  My husband tried his pepper, but decided he like the filling better alone.  There was some left so I had it for lunch today and it was just as good re-heated in the microwave.  I think if I make this again, though, I'll leave out the cilantro.  I love the taste, but it doesn't love me so well.  This also made a lot of filling, so I'm thinking tacos for lunch one day, or put it on quesadillas for the kids.  We also used some of our Salad Savoy in our salad with dinner.

No comments: